Maite Vanhellemont (1990) is an artist, lecturer and organiser based in Amsterdam. She graduated in photography at the University of the Arts Utrecht in 2018. In her work, she combines a mix of photography, video and text. During her studies she discovered that she enjoys initiating all kinds of things in collaboration with others. For that reason, in addition to her own practice, she also works on organizational assignments within the cultural sector. Whether it concerns her own projects or the collaborations she enters into, her work always arises in exchange with someone else.
Instagram / Linkedin
Education & work experience :
Lecturer in the photography department and coordinator of the graduation festival HKU Exposure for the Media department at the University of the Arts, Utrecht.
Programme committee member at AG
Part of Good Martha
Editor for Tijdschrift Ei
Commissioned assignments as an artist as well as organizational jobs within the cultural sector. Amongst others; Amsterdam 4 and 5 May committee, The Transformers, Galerie Onrust, Onderwijsraad, Fw; Books, Depend on me and Nora Turato.
2019 - 2021
Co-founder and coordinator of SALON: a platform for and by students of HKU. Expo’s, lectures, workshops, discussions and a podcast in which exchange with others is the main goal.
2022 Initial qualification in didactic competence
2019 - 2022 Studio manager Nora Turato
2017 - 2022 Part of OUTLINE platform
2019 Art & Politics course at BAK, Basis voor Aktuele Kunst
2018 - 2019 Assistant to director at Annet Gelink Gallery
2018 Artist residency at Plan B, with OUTLINE.
Summer school het Vijfde Seizoen.
2017 - 2018 Gallery assistant at Juliette Jongma
2014 - 2018 Bachelor in Photography, University of the Arts, Utrecht.
2017 Internship at Juliette Jongma.
2016 - 2018 Student member education committee, HKU Media.
2009 - 2013 Photographic Design, Fotovakschool, Amsterdam.
2021 Fonds Kwadraat
Ontwikkelbijdrage Stichting Amarte Fonds
Currently working on/with :
2022 - 2023 DIABP Newbe
2020 - present Residency/research project Plan B/Veldwerk
7 - 9 April Not Just a Fair with DIABP at Platform Post, Arnhem, NL.
Exhibitions, publications & presentations :
* Wiels Art Book Fair with DIABP
* Photo series accompanying the Dutch translation of the essay 'Control of Our Destinies' by author Sam Mills, for HetMoet Publishing.
* Photo series accompanying a text by Dave Boomkens for Tijdschrift Ei.
* Hari Depan Saya, Two-week photography workshop for the students of Senior High School SMA Aquino, in Amurang, Sulawesi, ID.
* Souvenir, a group exhibition curated by Maite Vanhellemont at AG.
* Ghent Art Book Fair at Kunsthal Gent, BE.
* Book launch ‘ Professional Amateur’, Depend On Me at Framer Framed, NL.
* Artist contribution, publication ‘Professional Amateur’ published by Depend on me.
* Photo series accompanying a text by Bas Blaasse for Tijdschrift Ei
* Beurs voor Bijzondere Uitgevers, Paradiso, Amsterdam
* Projectvoorstelling ‘Zoals mij gewoon is’, Bekegem, BE.
* Editorial ‘Er was eens’ for Tijdschrift Ei.
* Artist contribution, publication ‘Veldwerk 2020-2021’.
* Photo series accompanying a text by Jan Zwaaneveld for Tijdschrift Ei.
* KNAK-KNAK a duo show with Simon Skatka Lindell at Hannah Art Space, Amsterdam.
* Commissioned exhibition by UUT Experience / National Youth Council’ at Huis van Betekenis, Utrecht.
* ‘Let’s play Art Gallery‘ digital pop-up exhibition in Amsterdam’s subway network in context of Museumnacht 2019.
* ‘Kunstschouw’ Zeeland (NL)
* ‘New Dutch Photography Talent 2019’ at De Utrechtse Boekenbar, NL.
* ‘New Dutch Photography Talent 2019’ at Melkweg Expo, Amsterdam, NL.
* Kunsten Festival Plan B, Bekegem (BE)
* My Other Tongue, group exhibition, Beautiful Distress Project Space, Amsterdam, NL
* Graduation Show at HKU Oudenoord 700, Utrecht, NL.
* OUTLINE publication release & exhibition, SKLOP, Sarajevo, BH.
.p&g, group exhibition, Lab 111, Amsterdam, NL.
2016 We are now here, group exhibition, A Lab, Amsterdam, NL.
2015 Edited by, group exhibition, Kunstwest, Amsterdam, NL.
2014 Kunstroute Leiden, Haagweg4, Leiden
* Warehouse Weekender, Roest, Amsterdam, NL.
* Portre, solo presentation graduation project, Roest, Amsterdam, NL.
* Connecting the dots, group exhibition, Pera Museum, Istanbul, TK.